Monday, July 9, 2012

More of My Repenting


Slowly, surely and painfully I’ve come to recognize that my theology has for the most of my life been off-center. That is, it has been more experience-centered than grounded on a Trinitarian understanding of grace. I consider myself well read and theologically astute but obviously the lens through which I have  read, studied and even researched has made a significant impact on what what I’ve seen and believed. Removing the lens feels at times like I’ve been blind and deaf the whole time. By “repenting” I mean what the word means – a change of thinking that is deep enough that it requires a shift in the direction of one’s life and choices. Yes, there are strong feelings involved but the feelings are not as important as the changes in direction of thinking and choosing.
J. B. Torrence describes well the problem of coming from an experiential-theological point of view in contrast to a Trinitarian theological view. It’s like that arrow in the FedEx logo – once I could not see it and now I can’t see anything else:


“Although it stresses the God-humanward movement in Christ, the human-Godward movement is still ours! It emphasizes our faith, our decision, our response in an event theology which short-circuit’s the vicarious humanity of Christ and belittles union with Christ.… it fails to see the place of the high priesthood of Jesus Christ…” who is present here and now through the Spirit and) ‘leads our worship, bears our sorrows on his heart and intercedes for us, presenting us to the Father in himself as God’s dear children, and uniting us with himself in his life in the Spirit.… It ignores the fact that God has already provided for us that response which is alone acceptable to him––the offering made for the whole human race in the life, obedience and passion of Jesus Christ.… Whatever else our faith is, it is a response to a response already made for us and continually being made for us in Christ, the pioneer of our faith.… At the center of the New Testament stands not a religious experience, not our faith or repentance or decision, however important these are, but a unique relationship between Jesus and the Father.”  Worship, Community and the Triune God of Grace 
Page 29–30.
Who knows, maybe it will lead you to repent too.
Blessings in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit

No comments:

Post a Comment