Monday, July 9, 2012

Trinity With Us In Our Crap


Jennifer Hunt about her journey into greater contentment in the midst of all the things that can happen to make life less than pleasant – from minor irritations to major problems. She tagged me into her note and I shared a response from my experience with her that I’m posting her to pass on to others. Just one person’s shifting positions that allows me to see more clearly the choices I have in living loved and loving life.
I began practicing and teaching a simply-hard tool and a point-of-view shift that helps me keep perspective on the sort of things you mentioned. The tool is simply the intentional practice of gratitude about everything and everyone. It’s not as easy as it seems to some to be grateful for every situation and every person we encounter. Some people are easy but I find it most helpful to discover something for which I am grateful for the more “challenging” situations with people.
I’m making it a daily practice as I go to bed to review my day and find something to be grateful for in each and every encounter. If you want to keep your heart open, intentionally practicing gratitude is a key.
The point-of-view shift is about a conscious awareness of Trinitarian inclusion. Most of us think about God being “out there somewhere” and our task is to get from where we are to where He is. Frankly, most of us Evangelicals (and Christians generally) are not practicing Trinitarians and at best Tri-theists (we know there are three but have no idea the difference it makes in everyday living).
If our image of God is “out there” and our task is to “get closer” we will work at practices that we think are needed (repent, believe, have faith, tithe, worship, etc.). Of course our conscience often reminds us that we haven’t done any of these things consistently “enough.” or “these difficult things wouldn’t be happening.” So we go back square one and try to do them “more right” – and, of course, want others to do it right too!
That image is a total contradiction to what Paul declares as part of the mystery of our adoption [Eph 1] revealed in Christ’s Incarnation, Resurrection and Ascension – “For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.” [Col 1:16-17]. If “all things” means “all things” and we are part of “all things” then God is not “out there but we are “included on the inside the life of the Trinity.” The task is not to “get there” but to “wake up” to what Christ has done for all humanity.
We can be inside and as blind to it as the elder brother was to his inclusion. He had only to accept that he was already included and that his father’s choice to include his brother was not his to worry about. All either brother had to do was to “accept the acceptance” that was already available.
In the Incarnation, the Son came to bring us [here and now] into the presence of Father and Spirit with all of our crap. In the Ascension the Son continues in his resurrected flesh to intercede and explain our mumblings and groaning in our flesh to his Father as one who knows what it’s like to be us.
I’ve also been praying a short sentence that may make sense to you and that’s been helpful for me and my contentment:” Father, what don’t I understand about you, that if I did, I’d be less anxious.”
Blessings
Dr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment